Mercedes Benz W113 280 SL Pagoda USA import partially restored approx. 45,000 € invested (1968)
|Mercedes Benz||W113 280 SL||1968|
|Automatic||170||ca. 57.000 abgelesen|
Not or only partially comprehensible.
The Mercedes-Benz "Pagoda", first shown as the 230 SL at the Geneva Motor Show in 1963, quickly drove its way into the hearts of well-heeled ladies and sophisticated gentlemen. Its price was always on a par with the Porsche 911, but thanks to the hardtop, it was a convertible and coupé at the same time. Technically, it was embodied in the W 111 without a roof and with a shortened wheelbase. In eight years, almost 49,000 examples of the W 113 were built, and the most powerful model in the series was the 280 SL, which was available from 1968 to 1971. The name Pagoda was actually inspired by Buddhist temples with concave roofs and was synonymous with the inwardly curved hardtop of the W 113.
General information about the vehicle
This auction features a Mercedes-Benz 280 SL of the 113 series, which originated in the USA and was first registered for traffic in 1968. At the moment this Pagoda is located in Germany, has already been customs cleared and provided with German registration - a valid MOT runs until April 2025, the H license plate may already be worn by this W 113. The exact owner number is not known, but this partially restored Pagoda has been owned by the seller since its import in 2013. The seller cannot confirm the so-called "matching numbers" as he does not know this.
- Exterior and interior: Over the years, a complete painting of the body of this 280 SL in the color red already took place - matching the exterior color, the interior is kept in black, only the dashboard presents itself in the interior also in body color.
- Engine and transmission: A 280 SL with its 170 hp represents the most powerful expansion stage of the 113 series. The power of the 2.8-liter inline six-cylinder engine is transmitted to the rear axle via a four-speed automatic transmission. According to the seller, it was not until this year (2023) that a final engine service was carried out.
- Mileage: The seller cannot give an exact mileage figure - but he assumes at least 100,000 kilometers.
- Documentation: A checkbook is not available, the total mileage can no longer be traced. The documents of this 280 SL include the German registration papers. Furthermore, the seller states the following investment history: - Purchased in 2013 from Mercedes-Leseberg Oldtimer (re-imported from USA). - 2013 Cavity preservation at Mercedes-Leseberg - 2014 New brake master cylinders, power steering renewed, seat belts installed - 2014 Both seats reupholstered in leather. New carpet set. - 2015 New front axle bearing. Engine partially rebuilt - First appraisal 2015: €81.500,- - 2017: new water pump, new cylinder head gasket - 2018: complete body restoration and professional repainting (great documentation available) - Second appraisal 2018: €130.000,- - 2019 soft top renewed (Weinhold, Hamburg) - November 2022 major customer service incl. valve stem seal renewal (invoice available) at the car workshop Hauben Auf - investments since purchase approx. €45.000,-
- In the area of the brakes, the seller of this Pagoda gives a condition assessment of 70-90%, the tires he certifies a condition of 50-70%.
- In a partially restored state of preservation is the underside of the W 113, which can be found without gross inconsistencies.
- Please see the photo gallery and videos for further insight into the vehicle's condition.
- Over the years, according to the seller, there was a constant overhaul of the in-line six-cylinder engine, in addition, in the course of partial restoration came the roof new, in the interior covered the black leather seats and in addition, the wood was renewed. In addition to the leather upholstery, an original radio can be mentioned among the interior features. Also the hardtop in original color (like current color) is present and according to the seller in good condition, but not restored.
- It is one of the most desirable Mercedes classics. It is far less expensive than a 300 SL Roadster and much more exclusive than its successor, the R 107: the 113 series, known as the "Pagoda". A sporty paint color, the classy black leather interior and the all-around well-preserved condition of this Pagoda offered here for auction make the car a special eye-catcher on the roads. In addition, the 280 SL represents the top model of the 113 series, with which one pulls both sporty and relaxed through the countryside - best of all, of course, with the top down.
Why Kickdown? The NDR summed it up well!Verkaufsbedingungen Stand: (19.12.2022)
- Kickdown photographer was on site
- Video of the vehicle available
- Main inspection
- Current service performed
The description of this auction has been made to the best of the seller's knowledge. The condition of this vehicle is based on the opinion of the seller and may differ from your own opinion. The description and photos are for reference. Kickdown does not guarantee the accuracy of the listing and recommends a viewing. The seller decides whether a viewing can be made. Bidders must satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of the description and make all necessary inquiries before placing a bid. For this purpose, please use the comments and questions section for additional information. Please read our terms and conditions for more details.
About the seller
Never miss an auction again with our newsletter!
Mercedes Benz wanted?
Benefits of our Auctions
- We take care of your search for a car.
- Off-market vehicles from our network
- Pre-selected vehicles.